Sunday, February 6, 2011

New semester, new students

Week one of semester two is over and done, and I have met my lovely new students in French.  Having just finished exams it's nice to start fresh and get a new bunch of recruits in.  I have a nice group it seems and I'm looking forward to getting them going as they seem pretty keen.  I'll admit that on day three with them I had the overwhelming sense of "holy crap, how am I going to get them through all of this?".  I like to start speaking as much french as I can from the outset, which means lots of blank stares when I say "Sortez une feuille de papier" etc, and it always feels a little scary.  I don't think that I'm the only teacher who gets a bit nervous when the new semester or school year starts, but sometimes it's nice just to acknowledge that it's hard to believe that I do what I do for a living and that so far have survived the first week jitters again.  I think it keeps me on my toes too, which isn't a bad thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment